Friday, May 30, 2014

Shakespeare References – A Record


I thought this could be fun as an extrapolation on my last post: a specific record of all the references to Shakespeare that I ran across in a typical day. So I picked yesterday. I probably missed a few but there were four confirmed sightings (okay, maybe three and a half, the first may be a bit of a reach). Check it out:

  • 7:20am - Reading the Staunton, VA Visitor’s Guide:
    Advertisement for the “All’s Well” Massage Center. All’s Well…get the joke? It’s a “happy ending.” Or am I reaching?
  • 11:14am - Listening to a Radio Podcast:
    Podcasters mentioned the movie Shakespeare in Love and that this movie was Joseph Fiennes “best role.”
  • 5:11pm - Looking at an old picture of my Brother-in-Law’s beer can collection:
    Contains a beer can called “Falstaff.”
  • 10:14pm - Watching the HBO Series Generation Kill:
    Sgt. Brad 'Iceman' Colbert quotes Julius Caesar (Act III.1):

    Sgt. Colbert: Once more into the great good night. Cry 'havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war.
    Cpl. Person: Man, when I get home I am gonna eat the f - - - out of my girlfriend's p - - - -.
    Evan 'Scribe' Wright: Is that Shakespeare?
    Lance Cpl. Trombley: Shakespeare wrote that? [Wright nods] About his girlfriend's p - - - -?

Funny how bawdy (implied and overt) these references are. Shakespeare would have approved. So at the risk of beating a dead horse dead, there it is. See what I mean? He's everywhere. Kind of a silly exercise, but hey, why not.

No comments:

Post a Comment