Monday, March 25, 2013

Bullet Points

So, I know this is a bit lazy, but here’s a simple, bulleted list of cool facts concerning A Midsummer Night's Dream. I like to do this from time to time, just kind of dump some stuff out there on what I have discovered in my travels to, ya know, keep it interesting (ha ha, I know…):
  1. That song you probably marched down the aisle to on your wedding day? You know, the Wedding March? That was written by Felix Mendelssohn specifically for a production of this play, so you can kind of thank The Bard for that one.
  2. As I mentioned earlier, this is one of three Shakespeare plays that has no known single source material (most of his plays are based, usually in a big way, on some prior work by some other writer). Love’s Labor’s Lost and The Tempest are the other two.
  3. It wasn't a very popular play until relatively recently. Actually, it was generally derided as a piece of junk really, until about 150 years ago. Now it is easily one of his most popular plays. What does this say about art and audience?

No comments:

Post a Comment