Monday, February 10, 2014

(28) Julius Caesar


Julius Caesar is a play about politics, mostly ugly politics of the worst sort. The play is full of selfish, lying, cheating, and backstabbing (literally) aristocrats all vying for power and control. In this way, I found myself really annoyed with the characters, perhaps because I find politics so annoying to begin with. For example, in the play, right after Caesar is killed by the conspirators, Mark Antony give the famous “Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears” speech, a masterful piece of oration (and poetry) that stirs the crowd against the conspirators and is the beginning of the end for all of them. In the speech, Antony expertly “teases” the crowd with the mention of Caesar’s last will and testament, at first pretending to regret that he has mentioned it because he is so afraid (again pretending) of how the crowd will react when they hear how much Caesar loved them. In due course (and with specific timing for maximum effect), he reveals that the will specifies an inheritance to every citizen of seventy-five drachmas…and the crowd goes wild.

However, Anthony (in private) calls for the will soon after so that he can remove this bequeathment to the people, certainly because it no longer serves his purposes (and because he is greedy and wants Caesar’s inheritance for himself):
"But, Lepidus, go you to Caesar's house;
Fetch the will hither, and we shall determine
How to cut off some charge in legacies."
I was highly annoyed at the character of Anthony when I read this, but in retrospect I shouldn’t have been. The people in this play (the plebeians) are such sheep. Stereotypically fickle and dumb, they elicit very little sympathy. One minute they are cheering for this guy to be emperor, then the next minute some other guy. In fact, they are so easily swayed that their ignorance comes across as maybe the greatest evil of all, a liability both to themselves and to society, a liability that becomes an asset for those looking for power. Shakespeare is pointing out the dangers of such ignorance, which is interesting of course, but still annoying, probably because it is so true.

I’ll leave that bit of pontification off there (you’re welcome). Switching gears a bit, this play was one of the most straightforward plays I have yet read. It was a fast, comfortable read with a clear plot, consistent characters, and easy-to-follow language. It strikes me as the perfect “first play” to give to kids to read (perhaps I feel this way because it was the first Shakespeare play I read, way back when). There is something accessible about this one, at least compared to some of the others (Love’s Labor’s Lost, for example) that makes it easy...or maybe I’m just getting used to things.

Unlike Romeo and Juliet, I read a single version of this play, almost all in one sitting. This was the No Fear Shakespeare version, which prints modern day translations next to the original text. When needed, the modern text was useful and fun (although I disagreed with it sometimes). There’s nothing wrong with this of course, as long as the original text is the primary focus (Yes, I do see the irony in admitting to reading some modern day text, given my “no modern translations” rant at the end of the last post. However, I think that as long as it is presented along with the original text (and not replacing it) then it is more than okay, especially if it helps in understanding and appreciating the play).

I also watched the 1953 movie version which, like the play itself, is accessible and straightforward. It is very close to the original and appears to have very little emendation, which is the way to go with this one. Also, the movie has a great Mark Anthony in Marlon Brando, who absolutely overshadows all the other characters (save maybe James Mason as Brutus). He is electrifying in the role, so check it out if you want to see something great.

So, that’s Julius Caesar, a good one for sure but not one of my favorites, due to its overt, prevalent, and certainly intended political themes (still a top ten though, but just barely). Next up: Hamlet, which some say is his best work. I have read this one before (who hasn’t) but am looking forward to reading it again. I am sure I forget much about it and anyway, part of Shakespeare’s genius is being able to re-read any of the plays any number of times and find something new and interesting. So let’s have at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment