Monday, May 13, 2013

(9) Much Ado about Nothing

I really enjoyed this play. Great writing, great story. There’s a real craft to this one, and the interplay between the two couples-in-love is an excellent compare/contrast sort of thing, with the one couple denying their love in a too-cool-for-school sort of way and the other totally overwrought in their affections. Each scenario, of course, has its issues, as explored so well by The Bard. Also, I must say, and along these same lines, that the characterizations are just great (I know, obviously, we’re talking about the greatest writer of the English language…but I still feel like mentioning it). Characters created with such depth and complexity, so much like real people, so believable.

I’ve been thinking about this idea of “believability” lately, perhaps because Shakespeare goes both ways on this account, happily and often. I think in an earlier post I complained about the believability of the action in one of the plays, noting that things just seemed to be stretched too far. This play has its exaggerations too (one example: the reaction of the characters, most notably Claudio and her father, when Hero’s alleged transgressions are exposed). This used to bother me, but I think it no longer does. I now realize that this stretching of reality is not only by design, but integral. Remember, these plays are meant as entertainment, so there is reason behind the unreason. Yelling and screaming and crying and all such manner of carrying on is interesting and engages the reader/viewer. It’s obvious, I know, but I think I’ve been missing the point of it, on some level, until now (wait, I missed something?!? Impossible!). So I stand corrected.

I also watched the Branagh movie and enjoyed it as well. Another great adaptation by this Branagh guy. Also, if you check this one out, be sure to pay attention to the camera work at the end. The final dance party is a really great, non-stop “flying” camera shot lasting at least five minutes. I rewound it and immediately watched it again, and you will too. Also, I’ll be seeing the live performance at the Philadelphia Shakespeare Theater this Thursday and am definitely looking forward to it. Multiple interpretations…the written piece as interpreted alone, by me, then the movie, and then the live play. Just way too much crazy excitement, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment